Minutes September 9, 2019

Meeting held in the home of Alex Thomson – Unit 8, 1602 Morey Road

In Attendance: Norene Cragg, Ryan Brunt, Abe Buwalda, Mario Caggauauan, Alex Thomson, Susan Allison, and Kim Maybee

Meeting called to order at 7:00 pm

No proxies were held, but no quorum needed for this meeting.

  1. Welcome to both Ryan Brunt, the new owner of Unit 3 and also to Kim Maybee – a first-time attendee.
  2. The minutes of the last meeting were reviewed. Alex Thomson moved that the minutes be approved as read, seconded by Susan Allison
  3. Abe presented a budget comparison and overages (2 pages)
  4. 2019 – 2020 Budget discussion
    1. Since we budgeted approximately $9,000 to $10,000 in the last three years for the painting of all 3 buildings, it was decided that this money goes towards both the plumbing issues in building 1600 and towards chimney repairs, where needed.
    2. It was agreed the plumbing issue should be addressed first
    3. An idea was presented by Alex Thomson that rather than fixing all the (needed) chimneys, we could instead offer an incentive (maybe $500) to each owner – towards them moving towards a gas fireplace installation instead.  This would be up to each individual owner to decide.
    4. It was also agreed that we increase this year’s proposed budget by $1,500 to go towards our contingency fund.  (We need to start saving money for roof replacements in several years). This would increase everyone monthly payment by approximately $10 +/-. See page two for each unit proposed strata fees.
  5. There was some discussion about the aphid droppings from several trees. There are several trees that are infested with aphids and their droppings are affecting:
    1. The parking areas of Unit 3 and 4
    2. The driveway in front of Building 1600 – especially in front of Unit 9
    3. One or more trees behind building 1600, affecting the use of the deck by Unit 9
    4. Abe reported that Davey tree estimated the cost of approx. $1,200 per tree (spraying) with no guarantee of how well and long this would work.
    5. Ryan Brunt offered to look into this as he works in the forestry industry.
    6. Since one or more trees behind building 1600 are on Kim’s Barbecue Restaurant property, Abe will discuss the costs with the owner.
  6. Since Lydia Kucharuk has moved away, we elected Susan Allison as interim President.
  7. Susan reported that she saw a woman smoking crack in the early morning of September 8th at the strata entrance.  She told the individual that the police had been called, but she had moved on before the police arrived.  Alex Thomson also reported a dumpster diver sometime recently. A reminder to everyone to always keep their doors locked, valuables out of sight and to call the police of any suspicious activity.
  8. Ryan Brunt reported a water leak by his sliding door when replacing the flooring (Unit 3). Ryan will get a few estimates and the strata will be responsible for repairs.
  9. Hot Water Tanks:
    1. There are a few hot water tanks that are overdue for replacement and some needing replacement in the next year.  Abe wanted it on record that it is each owners responsibility to ensure their tanks are replaced BEFORE their expiry. If an owner should have a leak and it is determed that has already expied, the strata insurance WILL NOT cover any damages.
  10. Alex Thomson was concerned about the bark mulch location Abe will speak to Christiana about moving it to another location.

The meeting was adjourned at 756 pm.

REMINDER: Our Annual General Meeting will be held on September 24th at 7 pm at Alex’s place (Unit 8).  Please plan to attend as we do need a quorum in order to vote on the agenda items,